I wish I had more to say about this, or some really fabulous ideas to help but I don't! The bane of all gardeners, weeding is a necessary part of the end result. I can leave you the following tips and that is the best I can do...
- Pull them BEFORE they go to seed. Any 'fuzz' from any type of weed is bound to be seed waiting to sow itself where you want it least.
- A Dutch Hoe is an extraordinary tool that works far better than a normal hoe in my opinion. Hoe them down when they are small - keep at it daily or weekly and you'll find you spend less & less time pulling them by hand.
- Leave a few small ones for the slugs - if you pull everything they have no choice but to feed on your precious plants.
- If pulling weeds in a large area by hand, wait until they are at least 6 inches tall if you can - much easier to pull from that height and up.
- Try to do your weeding when there is moisture in the ground, you'll get more of the root that way as they tend to break off when the ground is hard & dry.
- If you can help it, stay OUT of the gardens while they are saturated. It doesn't take long to destroy your soil structure and compact it while tramping through the rows when they are wet.
- DON'T use the weed killer recipe below around your plants - the salt will kill them just as easily as it kills the weeds! Use it along your sidewalks, etc.
- 1 lb salt
- 1 gallon boiling water
Mix together, use hot by pouring over weeds.